Andy Zbikowski (Zibby) wrote:

>Not too familiar with Sun's or Dec, but if you're getting kicked back to
>the logon screen it usually means that your xsession ended with an error.
>Window Manager didn't start, couldn't access display, something. Linux
>creates a ~/.xsession-errors, check the Sun/Dec equilvent.

About the closest I can see is that it looks like it might be trying to
start up a tty session and it fails.  This is on a box that I can
connect to via Xnest with the gui desktop, and then try to run an X app
on it.

>>If I pull up a Xnest session to a box successfully, and then I remote
>>into a box that I cant connect to with X of some type I get a "client
>>not authorized to connect to computer" error.  Anyone have some ideas on
>>this?  The Sun boxes that I have problems pulling X up remotely on have
>>a known good .profile in them that I have duplicated on other servers
>>that I can connect to.
>>

>What do you mean by Xnest session? XDMCP query? So you query a box, logon,
>they pull up a remote session to another box? Via telnet? ssh? rsh? Need
>more info...

What I wrote above ties in a little with this.  I connect to a server
via Xnest to get the gui desktop and log in.  I then telnet over to
another server to which I can log into via Xnest.  I issue the command
to pull up a gui interface (such as admintool or sysman) from the
command prompt.  I then get errors where it cannot connect to <IP
address>.  Which is my Linux box.

>Display manager that supports XDMCP I suppose. Do you really need a full
>desktop on all these boxes? Isn't a command line enough? :) Can't just
>forword your xdisplay and run the programs you need from the command line?

Bingo!  That's what I'm after.  Running things from the command line,
but periodicly I have to pull up a gui interface (again, such as
Admintool on Sun, Sysman on DEC, or Veritas' vmsa).  But I can't get the
GUI display to redirect to my laptop.  Which, is why I use Xnest at
times to allow me to run them.  Otherwise, I need to go to my win2k box
and use Exceed or Reflection.  Frustrating.

Shawn