On Mon, 30 Apr 2001, Robert P. Goldman wrote:

> I'm not sure what to look for.  I have found that other boxen, both
> linux and w2k are able to read CDs that cause this one problems.  So
> I'm starting to wonder if it isn't the drive itself, or at least the
> relationship between the drive and the driver.

OK, moving from player to player casts immediate doubt on the CD!  If you
look (usually from the bottom, IIRC) there are human readable numbers,
sometimes even a little logo or something on the band of stuff just
outside the center hole, but inside the data area of the disk.  That's
what I meant to look for.

But, as I said, if the disk plays well on some, not on the other, then it
may well be the player.  Very reasonable to think that a servo in one
machine is flakier than others.  This is all done with PLL's and funny
optics that decide how to keep the laser in the right spot over the
disc.  It's definitely easier to break than software!

--
"To misattribute a quote is unforgivable." --Anonymous