Argh.
	been trying to get sound working on my machine here, so I can enjoy
the sweet strains of automatic weapons fire while playing lxdoom... but
without much luck. :(

	if I try to play something with xmms; it complains that it can't
open /dev/dsp. /dev/dsp is owned by group 'audio', so I added myself to
group 'audio'. if I try starting xmms then; it doesn't work at all. no
window appears; just a new line at the command prompt.
	am I supposed to be part of group 'audio', in order to make sound
work? this is a debian box.

I've got a Yamaha 192 sound card... wasn't supported under Linux until
recently. it uses the YMF724 chipset.
	I built the kernel with the ymfpci module (which according to the
sounce, is taken from the ALSA ymfpci module, which worked fine for me under
2.2.17); and can modprobe it; but lsmod says that ymfpci is 'unused'.
	lspci shows:
00:09.0 Multimedia audio controller: Yamaha Corporation YMF-724 (rev 05)

hmmm, /proc/interrupts seems to say that both eth0 and ymfpci share an
interrupt. could this be a problem?

hassles like these are why I avoided sound for so long. ;)

Carl Soderstrom
--
Network Engineer
Real-Time Enterprises