On Fri, 27 Apr 2001, Peter Clark wrote:

> > steep.
> > Or wait till there's more info on the Telocity deal.  You get the use
> > of the modem free.
>    I just checked out Telocity. Is there something I am missing?

The vote's still out.  Nate Carlson, i think, got it.  I'm waiting for
it.  It seems to be a lower B.S. factor than Qwest, though I don't think
they're quite as organized.  Further, with the MSN/Qwest thing, it makes
me happy to stay on the outside.

> The deal seems almost too good to be true--1.5Mb down, 128Kb up (I'm
> not planning on running a heavy-use server), Linux friendly, static IP
> address, modem thrown in for free, and all for $50 a month. Where's
> the catch? How their service? How much time from order to delivery?

Your rates sound like cable-modem rates to me.  Telocity is 768 down, 408
up, like everyone else has said.  I don't know if they're Linux friendly,
but the big attraction for me is that they have remembered to include the
"stripped" model.

This is the part that was sort of mentioned in answer to Bob's question
about making an ISP Linux friendly.  I think that it's important to have
knowledgable, reliable, helpful, good service, etc... ISPs.  But I think
that given the nature of Linux, there's a larger market share that want a
"self-serve" ISP.  Like someone else said, all I want is a pipe and an
IP.  To me, the ideal ISP would be like the water company, where it was on
before I moved in, on after I left, and they just got told when to start
and stop billing.  I don't think that's a small-scale money maker,
though.  I think you have to be a telco for the economies to scale right.

--
"To misattribute a quote is unforgivable." --Anonymous