Bob Tanner <tanner at real-time.com> writes:

> Quoting Troy Johnson (Troy.A.Johnson at state.mn.us):
> > If I understand correctly, Bob, you are saying that the services most Linux
> users could do without (colocation-wise) are icing on the cake of Real-Time's
> colocation costs. And it might be that cut-rate service isn't what Real Time is
> all about.  >
>
> In a nut-shell.
>
> I "feel" the need for cheap co-lo. BUT I don't want to offer cut-rate service.
> That is why I was looking at the S390.
>
> Ok, the box is not cheap, but it scales. It would be awesome to give linux-vms
> for $50/month AND still keep good service.

Having kicked into this thread prviously, I should add that I *do* see
why real-time might not want to be involved in providing
"sub-standard" service.  And of course there's always potential for
confusion in such situations.

I doubt it's feasible for enough people to band together in a coop to
afford a T3, though, and T1 compares rather unfavorably to DSL
price-performance.  So I don't know if the obvious alternative could
be done either.
--
David Dyer-Bennet      /      Welcome to the future!      /      dd-b at dd-b.net
SF: http://www.dd-b.net/dd-b/          Minicon: http://www.mnstf.org/minicon/