Quoting andy at theasis.com (andy at theasis.com):
> But did you ever say how many people you needed to commit to $50/month in
> order to make that a viable option?

No, I did not say how many people, because I did not know what it would cost for
a S/390.

Carl did some GREAT research on pricing on an S/390.

Carl, can you share the results with the LUG?

> Really, a colo without bandwidth limitions couldn't really do that low a
> rate. Especially in a crowd (us) who's likely to use it if they have it.
> There were vendors at Annual Linux Showcase last fall who were offering
> something really cheap, like $25/month plus something per 1K/s avg
> bandwidth. I'd bet that even with the S390 you'd have to charge for
> differential usage, unless you can also shape/cap bandwidth per virtual
> computer.

You can track everything from context switches to memory utilization on a 390.
So, there would probably have to some sort of caps on things.

--
Bob Tanner <tanner at real-time.com>       | Phone : (952)943-8700
http://www.mn-linux.org                 | Fax   : (952)943-8500