Quoting Brian (lxy at cloudnet.com):
> > * Bob Tanner <tanner at real-time.com> [010427 12:10]:
> > > What things do you wish your ISP (include Real Time)
> > would do to make your
> > > online life better as a linux user?
> >
> > Reduced cost limited use colocation facilites.
>
> I second that.  Colo prices are outrageously high.  It'd be
> almost cheaper (in St. Cloud anyway) to rent an apartment in
> DSL range, get a 1 Mb line and host away.

Hmmm, ok, let's go with 1Mb of throttled connectivity. Meaning you cannot burst
above that BUT you are guaranteed 1Mb of bandwidth. To make things easier, let's
just give you a point-to-point T1, 1.55Mb to yourself.

You brow-beat your telco and you can p-t-p T1 for $1000/month. Eh? You just sold
a co-loc customer guaranteed bandwidth 1.55Mb of bandwidth for $250/month, you
are now loosing $750/month!

Ok, we now all ISPs are playing the bandwidth game.

How many 1Mb co-lo boxes do you think a p-t-p T1 can support?
What happens if your customer come back with SLA and says I'm NOT getting 1Mb?

In your apartment senerio, got redundant links? power? servers?

Co-loc is an expensive business from an intra-structure stand point. That is why
the prices are where they are.

--
Bob Tanner <tanner at real-time.com>       | Phone : (952)943-8700
http://www.mn-linux.org                 | Fax   : (952)943-8500