did you restart samba after you edited smb.conf? i
failed to do that once and coulnt for the life of me
figure out why it is not working...

try something like
#/usr/sbin/samba restart

i think it is also possible to send a HUP signal to
smbd and nmbd... try it out

of course i am assuming that you have the basics down
right (workgroup, computer names etc...) double check
them just to be safe...

also you might want to check the archives; someone
posted an smb.conf file a while back that looked
legit,
look into adopting parts of that file...

 -munir

=====