On Fri, Apr 27, 2001 at 08:06:02AM -0700, Peter Clark wrote:
>    Maybe now would be a good time to ask a question that I have been
> wondering about for some time. Is there any way to have a box give a
> false identity for its OS? For example, have Linux tell the outside
> world that it is really NT4?

You could set up a superficial appearance, sure.  But I don't think anyone
will be fooled if they telnet to the box and see

Connected to ntbox.home.com
Escape character is '^]'.
Windows NT Server 4.0 ntbox
ntbox login:

More significantly, though, OS fingerprinting tools rely on quirks of the TCP
stack to recognize a host's OS, so you're not going to fool them without
rewriting substantial hunks of your kernel.

--
That's not gibberish...  It's Linux. - Byers, The Lone Gunmen
Geek Code 3.1:  GCS d? s+: a- C++ UL++$ P++>+++ L+++>++++ E- W--(++) N+ o+