>    So. Way at the bottom there is a mention of the Intel 3200 USB
> modem. Now, I know that the Intel 2200 PCI modem should be avoided like
> a flea-ridden, plague infect rat. However, has anyone heard about the
> USB version under Linux? The reason I ask is because I am cheap. The
> Cisco 67x, even at the low, low price of $195, is still a little steep.
> The USB modem is free. However, what makes me nervous is that the USB
> modem has the warning: "Will not work with Windows 95, NT4 nor
> Macintosh operating systems." Now the first two are granted. But
> Macintosh? Didn't USB first come to the Mac? Little red flashing light
> warn: "Warning! Proprietary voodoo!" I guess if it's Intel...

I'm guessing that it will only work with windows at the moment.  The fact
that it's USB might give it a better chance of working with Linux (or *BSD)
in the future.

IIRC, USB wasn't first on the Mac.  It could be that they use some
proprietary software to drive the thing and they don't have a Mac version
of it.

>    Second, would anyone care to offer the web page of their favorite
> DSL ISP? I found Real-Time's, and the deal looks good, but I like
> shopping around.

I use Sound Internet (www.scc.net).  They're just down the road from where
I live in St. Paul and they're pretty good.  19.95/mo.

I know a lot of people who use Visi (www.visi.com) and love them.  They
just recently lowered their price to 19.95/mo, I believe.

>    Third, does anyone second the motion that there should be a FAQ for
> this group that specifically lists the different options for cable/DSL
> in the TC area? This is a really popular subject (which is why I feel
> ashamed for bringing it up again) that perhaps deserves to be addressed
> in a comprehensive manner.

I second it.

Gabe
Gabe Turner				       |  	   X-President,
UNIX Systems Administrator,		       | Assoc. for Computing Machinery
U of M Supercomputing Institute for	       |    University of Minnesohta
Digital Simulation and Advanced Computation    |       dopp at acm.cs.umn.edu

"Get out of my trash!  I'm telling you for the last time!  A man works
 hard for his filth, just to have vagrants steal it.
 It's a cryin' shame."
			- George Liquor in "The Boy Who Cried Rat!"