I'm looking at buying a burner again.  I'm kind of in a bind, so I'm
looking for some others with more experience on this.  The last time I
played with a burner of my own was with a Ricoh SCSI 2x2x4 CD-RW.  Thing
was great until a bad fan on a PS fried it because of the heat.

Here's what I'm looking at but can't decide.

USB CD-RW burner-  Portable, can switch between Linux and W2k
laptops/desktops.  Does 2.2.x kernel support this, or would I be better
off going to the 2.4?  Speed isn't really an issue on this decision.

Internal SCSI CD-RW burner-  No IDE drive for me.  I've had bad luck
with the IDE burners, and want to stay SCSI.  Though, I can't find any
locally, the stores look at me funny when I mention that I'm looking for
one.  Downside is that I can't port it around as easily as I can with a
laptop.

Anyone have good recommendations on these or other?  I'm also looking at
getting a tape backup.  I've been looking  at the VXA systems, anyone
have experience with these things?  Or is there a comparable unit out
there that doesn't cost $900 for a 66GB BU system?

Shawn