That did it!  I removed the PCMCIA stuff from the kernel, rebuilt the
kernel and the pcmcia modules and everything is happy!

Now I can get back to playing!  I have to hunt around to see if the
Canon proprietary RAW format (Canon PowerShot Pro90 IS) is readable by
anything.

Thanks for the help!  This rocks!

Dave