Mike Hicks wrote:

> I've been pondering this myself, since I have a VIA chipset that has been
> showing problems as well.  I have the VIA 82c586b chipset for my K6-2
> system, a predecessor to the current 686b chipset that has been causing so
> much trouble with Athlon boards, and I spent the last day getting my
> system re-installed due to filesystem corruption.  Just a few notes about
> that:

What is the name of the chipset?  MVP3, MVP4?  I have a MVP4 w/ a K6-2 450
without any problems with linux.  Had some major problems with some other
computers running identical MB's and chips but that was with windows, not
linux and only on the installation.  After it was installed it worked great.

Runs 2.4 great.  Compiles in about 15 minutes.
Not sure about the exact model # right now as it is at home.  It is an
Amptron ( www.amptron.com ) all in one deal though.  Not bad for it's time.
There site is really nice now.  Has drivers for Win9x/ME/NT/2K and Linux.
Bios upgrades and everything.  Not bad now but really sucked when I first got
the board.
The only major problem I have with it is that it has onboard video.  8MB
shared memory, AGP 2x Trident Blade 3D/CyberBlade.  Works great but not all
that powerfull.
I need to find a Nvidia PCI based board for cheap.  Don't have much money
right now though.

Any suggestions?

sim