Ben Lutgens wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 25, 2001 at 04:43:32PM -0500, Bob Tanner wrote:
> >Got a G3 PowerMac and was going to install YellowDog, bad news is you need the
> >MacOS installation CD to start the process off (lame!!).
> >
> >Does the ppc debian version require this?
>
> I don't know, but I have basically given up on the mac laptop that I was going
> to install linux on. Makes me sick to my stomach that you need the install CD
> in order to make it work.

I thought it was just to make the partitions?  And I think the bootloader has
something to do with it.  Maybe they should send that along with the install
disks.
We had the same problem with a 7200 and PPClinux.  Had to partitoin the drive and
install the MacOS just to install linux.  Not a very good setup.
The guy who did it tried to install it without the MacOS disk's but to no avail.
Had to load a MacOS system and then load PPClinux then remove MacOS.  Kinda a run
around.
Does the MacOS linux's use the HFS/HFS+ formats?  I didn't think so but am not
sure.
There was also an option to hook up a console to the printer/modem port and change
some PRAM/ROM ( not sure wich ) stuff and make it bootable straight into linux
without the bootlaoder.  That looked interesting except there isn't a way that I
know of to do this with the new G3/G4's.
I don't think there is a distro out there for the mac that doesn't need the MacOS
install disk's.

sim