On Tue, 24 Apr 2001, Robert P. Goldman wrote:

> Interestingly, the problem seems to be related to the KIND of music.
> I have no trouble ripping various rock sorts of things, but *opera*
> CDs universally bog near the end of the track while ripping.  I am not
> sure why this happens, but have found that if I'm patient enough
> (i.e., take an hour or two for a single CD), I get an ok rip.

One clue would be to look at the band near the center hole which contains
information about the pressing plant.  Are the discs with which you have
trouble longer than 74 minutes?  It's possible to make discs longer than
74 mins, and it is done, but I always advised clients that it was
unwise.  The tracking servos on players cannot be guaranteed to perform
above spec, and you have to go to a tighter track pitch (though you'd
think that would happen at the beginning not the end, since CD's track
from inside to out.)

It could also be some other types of physical problems --
alignment/stepper motor, or just plain dirt.

Phil M

--
"To misattribute a quote is unforgivable." --Anonymous