At 12:43 PM 04/23/2001 -0500, you wrote:
>I run our entire office of 35+ users off a 330Mhz sparc/512MB with
>Solaris and a dual 800 Mhz pentium III/512MB with Linux.  We run Autocad,
>StarOffice, Netscape, and an inventory control/sales analysis/accounting
>package which is a mix of gnome / text applications (the text apps are
>being ported to gnome when I have the odd moment free from reading this
>list).
>
>I do about 2 hours of admin / week, and we haven't had any downtime since
>we switched to Linux (no nines, just a one and zero's...).
>
>We bought 35 neoware X-Terminals in 1994 for use with SCO Unix.  We have had
>0 terminal failures in a little more than 6 years of continuous use.  They
>run gnome
>and autocad perfectly, neither of which existed when the terminals were built.

Are these terminals ethernet or serial-based? I've been thinking about this
(an ethernet-based solution, using some older 486 and low-end Pentium PCs
with no hard drives as "thin clients") for a while myself, for my home, but
never really researched the idea -- I knew it was possible, just not
exactly how.

Dave Sherman
SoftServ Business Systems, Inc.            "Quid quid latine dictum sit,
webmaster at ssbs.com                                  altum viditur."
(763) 569-9839