Rick Engebretson wrote:

> In the 70s, one powerful computer ran many dumb video/keyboard terminals.
> In the 80s we adopted the one computer to one terminal model and maintain
> it today. Today, with personal computers so powerful, is there a way to
> again run several dumb terminals from one computer ??
>
> This approach seem made for Linux. Not everybody cares to edit video or
> play games on a P4 machine. Offices, schools, etc. save money, energy,
> space, and noise.
>
> I am trying to re-invent the past. Any ideas ??
>
> Rick.

This is pretty trivial.  I did this for years with text terminals
hooked to multiport serial cards.  If you just want two terminals
you can connect them to your standard two serial ports.

Take a look at /etc/inittab and read up on mgetty.  I used to use
Cyclades 8 port cards for running banks of terminals.

If you want to run graphical terminals it's probably the same cost
as a text terminal at this point...

Kent