I finally got around to setting up 3d acceleration for my G400 today and
got to play a little Hevy Gear 2.  It seems to be well-designed and all, but
I can't see a damn thing.  Most of the maps have a visible sky and everything
near solid black on the ground with a few black shapes jutting up into the
sky.  Targets are invisible; I can see the reticle on the HUD, but the area
within it remains undifferentiated black.  And these are missions whose
briefings claim they're taking place at noon!  I'd hate to see a night
game...  (One desert map has everything bright enough that the ground is
visible also, but buildings remain flat and black.  I think this might be
worse, though, because the light green HUD markings are tough to spot against
the bright background...)

But enough bitching about the problem itself...  I've grepped through the
mesa and glx source and the only references I've found claim that you can
adjust the gamma by setting MESA_GAMMA, which defaults to 1.0 if not defined.
However,

export MESA_GAMMA=2.5 ; hg2

which should make things considerably brighter, has no effect whatsoever.
(Setting MESA_GAMMA="2.5", however, locks up the machine...)

The system is debian woody with mesa 3.2.1 and the version of utah-glx which
was current in CVS as of about 3:00 this afternoon.

How do I adjust this?

--
That's not gibberish...  It's Linux. - Byers, The Lone Gunmen
Geek Code 3.1:  GCS d? s+: a- C++ UL++$ P++>+++ L+++>++++ E- W--(++) N+ o+