On Sun, 22 Apr 2001, Jason DeStefano wrote:

> type "smbstatus" and see if the file is open. Samba likes to keep
> its grubby hands on files even if they are no longer in use. I use
> samba to map a drive and use a windows text editor to write C
> code. Then i flip over to a telnet session and do the compile. Never
> had the problem you are describing while coding. I have noticed that
> if you delete a file that is open by smb the file will disappear but
> you will not get the drive space freed up. Once smb decides to
> release the file (could be days later) the space is then unallocated
> on the HD. Wierd way to do it in my opionion.

It's not weird if you think the UNIX way. You unlinked the file from the
directory it was attached to but the file was still linked to the process
that opened it. Until you close that file, it will still exist on the
disk.

Try this: do a
	"dd if=/dev/zero of=myfile bs=2M"
and in another console do
	"rm myfile".

The first program (dd) will run untill the disk is full. It has no way of
knowing you removed the file. Nor does it care.

Also you can rename the file while a process has it open. The process will
not "sense" anything.

florin