type "smbstatus" and see if the file is open. Samba likes to keep
its grubby hands on files even if they are no longer in use. I use
samba to map a drive and use a windows text editor to write C
code. Then i flip over to a telnet session and do the compile. Never
had the problem you are describing while coding. I have noticed that
if you delete a file that is open by smb the file will disappear but
you will not get the drive space freed up. Once smb decides to
release the file (could be days later) the space is then unallocated
on the HD. Wierd way to do it in my opionion.

The only time ive ever gotten the text file busy msg is when Im
running a program (or the system might be running it via cron or
something) and i try to write over the file with a new one (like
during a compile).

This prolly isnt much help though.

btw, im using all stock rh7.0 files.

Jason