I have a problem and am actively looking for a solution. Let me begin by
saying I am offering vegetarian food as compensation for services
rendered.
I run the Mud Pie Vegetarian Restaurant in Mpls. Our pos stations run
dos 6.22. We have two of these, both 486's both with touchsreen
monitors. One has the MS redirect client for netware installed, the
other runs some lantastic software that is quite old ( I'll get the
version# in an hour or so).
The machines boot and run a script to logon to the server. The server is
a win95 box running the MSredirector & ipx/spx & netware services. It
also runs the RestaurantManager program from action systems inc. ASI.
It's backend is a 16bit dos program. The front end is a 32bit program.
All the data are stored as .dbf files. I have been slowly building my
own rendition of the data base in separate files.
What I want to do is move everything to linux. I must migrate in such a
way that the servers do not have to overcome a learning curve just yet.
I plan to have that learning curve when I change the software for good.
My first priority is to find a way to get the current system to run on
linux. Even if I can only get one or the other client/server to run on
linux, I am on my way.
So in a perfect world I guess I would like to see the machines run linux
with the current program. In the meanwhile find some folks that are
interested in an open source pos project.
If anyone is interested in any part of this project please mail me
directly. Any input as far as the logistics of ipx on linux and other
stuff would be greatly appreciated.

-Spencer Underground
mailto:spencer at sihope.com

8 days 10:47 hrs uptime suse.2.2.16