From: tclug-list-admin at mn-linux.org [mailto:tclug-list-admin at mn-linux.org]On
Behalf Of Bill Layer
Sent: Thursday, April 19, 2001 6:02 PM
To: tclug-list at mn-linux.org
Subject: Re: Analog RAM meter (was Re: [TCLUG] black case:CDROM)

On Thu, 19 Apr 2001 15:10:18 -0500 (CDT)
"Jamie Ostrowski" <jamie at getsetnet.net> wrote:

One
> of the major stumbling blocks of making my system look old is the cdrom
> drive. The plastic tray that slides out just wont have the same effect
> hence my search for a cdrom that loads without the tray.

A couple of ideas on this...

1) General Nano (or was it Tran?) offers a slot-loading DVD rom drive for
about $100 or so last time I checked. Very up-to-date, and covers the
slot-load aspect.

2) What prevents us from attaching a larger (metal?) plate to the front of a
conventional CD-ROM drawer, adding some faux hardware, a name plaque, and
making it a stylistic element of the machine? If we used a conventional
mounting technique, the plate could be large enough to cover the *entire*
front of the CD-ROM drive... Made from thin aluminium, the weight will be
negligable. The buttons to open / play the CD are just switches, they can be
covered or removed, and their connections broken out to some momentary
toggles or rocker switches on the front panel. I even have a good friend
with a Bridgeport mill, who could probably machine a replacement drawer
front cover (have you ever noticed that those covers can be removed? It's
necessary to the design of the tray & front panel to have them removable...)

Heh.. heh heh... heh heh heh... :)

Bill