On Thu, 19 Apr 2001, Liz Burke-Scovill wrote:
> ok soooo...for those harried or brainless (like me) odes Samba 2.2 come
> with a specific distro and is there a good HOWTO or some such socument to
> clearly dilneate getting  it working? *chuckle* - the rest of the network
> is running win2K, and I haven't been able to get samba working yet...

It was just released a couple days ago. It's in Debian Unstable, and I
built RedHat packages from the distribution.

Pretty much you get 2000 clients working just like NT clients.. one twist.
You need to create a samba user called 'root' that maps to the unix user
'root', and set the password to something.. then, when you are setting up
the w2k client (after you have created the machine acocunt on the samba
machine, etc) it will ask you for a user who can create the machine
account. You need to enter 'root' and whatever password you set..
according to the docs, nothing else will work right now.