>   Just to interject an undoubtedly beer derived idea, as a
> sorta woodworker
> in my spare time I was wondering if anyone had considered
> making one from
> a nice variety of hardwood, say Black Walnut?
>   Off the top it's just a brain fart, but with the right
> grounding etc...
>   Maybe I should stick to chess boards :)
> RS

A darker burled walnut case would be awesome.  That 70's look.  You'd want a
door on the front to hide all of the ugly cdrom's and crap.  Probably the
best way to do it is to just buy a case you like, and strip off the
faceplate and panels and make new ones out of wood.

If you did use burled walnut with a dark reddish stain, you could put an
analog stereo VU meter in the front (like someone just mentioned) to top off
that 70's look.  :)

Unfortunately, since I live in an apartment now, I don't have a garage
anymore to make any wonderful creations.  Of course, garages and me always
seem to produce devices which get me in trouble (like the air powered
screwdriver gun, or the harley davidson golf cart with a snowmobile motor
and 4 wheeler wheels, or the ether powered potato canon, etc...).  Give me a
welder and a garage and I'll be amused endlessly.

Jay