Hi,

On Thu, 19 Apr 2001 08:50:56 -0500
dopp at acm.cs.umn.edu wrote:

> >     Also, I am looking for an analog meter to put on my case that
> > indicates RAM consumption. Is any hardware available for anything like
> > this?

What an interesting idea... RAM consumption is available as a raw figure, which can be translated into a ratio. Ditto for CPU usage. I can think of a couple of ways to implement this.

1) With an add-in 8 or 16 bit analog controller board.  This would be the easiest approach, you will need to write a daemon ('meterd'?) that monitors the usage, translates it into a simple figure and constantly updates the controller, say every few seconds? Most controllers have more than one channel, so it would be just as easy to have the 'meterd' update figures for CPU, Net, RAM etc. Obviously, it will help if the controller board has low-level linux drivers avaialble. Drive a bank of meters with this option.

2) With a custom built 8 or 16-bit D/A converter, interfaced to the PC parallel port. Use the parport_pc and ppdev kernel modules, and write a user-space driver to accomplish the same as in #1, only you will have a very complicated experience if you want more than one channel of metering.

That's all I can think of, does anyone know of a simple, cheap legacy analog controller board with low-level linux support? :)

Bill