It sounds like he just wants to query a remote X server.  There are two easy
solutions I know of, providing you're not worried about encryption:

1) Without an X server running on your local machine:

    X -query remote_machine:0

2) While in X on your local machine:

    Xnest remote_machine:0

Xnest isn't usually installed by default, so you may need to install it.
It doesn't come with the XFree distriubtion (I believe it's Xnest.tgz).  It
opens a remote X sessions in a new window.

This is the way we had to do it before ssh :)  Now, I just run my apps
through ssh since it's much less cumbersome and it's encrypted.

Gabe

On Thu, Apr 19, 2001 at 09:09:42AM -0500, jeffr at odeon.net wrote:

> You could always use ssh (and turn on x-session forwarding).  See
> www.openssh.org for more information.  You could also use VNC.
>
> Jeff
>

> On Thu, 19 Apr 2001, Shawn wrote:
>
> > I think he's looking for what command he needs to run to initiate this.
> > Typically, to start X you just type in "startx."  But if you're trying
> > to start x from another box, would it be "startx 10.0.x.x" or "start
> > <pcname>" or the like.  Of course both machines have to have X running
> > to do this.
> >
> > I've been wondering how this is done myself, but have seriously been
> > lacking in time to do any research on how to do it.  At work I run
> > either a telnet session to the Unix servers I work on through my linux
> > box, or if I have to run an X-windows session I go to my Win2k laptop
> > and run Exceed sessions.  If I can eliminate the use of the Exceed
> > session, that's one more step I can eliminate for having to use windows.

Gabe Turner				       |  	   X-President,
UNIX Systems Administrator,		       | Assoc. for Computing Machinery
U of M Supercomputing Institute for	       |    University of Minnesohta
Digital Simulation and Advanced Computation    |       dopp at acm.cs.umn.edu

"Today, we stalk the wily, speckled throated, burrowing, five-toed yak."
					- Marlin Hoek (Ren) in "Nature Show"