You can't just throw any SCSI cdrom on an Indy.  In many cases, you may
need to flash the firmware on the CDROM to the latest version in order to
support some of the funky stuff that SGI SCSI controllers do.  I have no
idea which CDROMs are specifically supported, however (except those from
SGI, of course).  I have seen an external Yamaha CDR work on an Indy
though, but only after an update to a beta firmware.

This of course may not be your problem at all.

Gabe