"Thomas T. Veldhouse" wrote:

> All of them in about 1 week.

Well,  I got them.  I got cd's 1 and 2.  When I tried to get the powertools
the ftp site died on me.  Oh well, I can live without those for now.
I just started installing it.  So far I am really impressed.  They actually
scaled down the GUI installer.  Much cleaner and faster.
It also allows you to configure a personal firewall right off the bat.  You
can enable services or leave them all off.  It only allows DNS ports and
another one that I can't remember.
Seems to be very fast compared to 7.0.
It even has a shell prompt this time.  Found that out by accident.

I have made an error though.  I tried to redo my partitions and am having some
trouble.
Using the Disk Druid I deleted the first 3 partitions on my drive.  I was
going to just resize them but Disk Druid wouldn't allow that.  Now when I
create a partition it creates it as sda9 or sda8 not sda5 which it should be.
How do I get around this.  I tried using fdisk.  In the extended features it
is supposed to allow you to fix the partition order.  It does this only on
screen.  When I write the partition table it reverts back to sda9.
I then restarted the computer to see if it would simply renumber them as it
started up.  Apparently not.

What gives.  I thought that these utilities were smarter than that.
Is there a way to renumber the partitions?  I can't delete the other 3
partitions on this drive.  I have RIP so there should be no problems booting
into those.  I will have to edit the fstab and lilo.conf files to point them
to the right partitions but that should be it, right?  No hidden rocks in the
water?

Even though I havn't gotten it all the way installed I am fairly impressed
with the installation program.
Kinda like looking at the pretty pictures on the cover of a novel but not
being able to read. : )

sim