On Mon, 16 Apr 2001, Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:
> Geeze -- you must not be an enthusiast.  You didn't take the day off of
> work?  It is a holiday when you get a new DSL connection and a router to
> play with :)

OK, due to popular TCLUG demand, I ran home on my lunch hour and set up my
DSL link.  :)

Here's the steps I had to go through:

1) Attempt to get a DHCP address from the router, per instructions
2) Didn't work, so I set my address to 10.0.0.1 (instructions tell you to
   connect to http://10.5.1.2), and tried to connect to that IP; still
   didn't work.
3) Did a ping sweep on 10.0.0.0/8 with NMAP to figure out what IP it was
   on  :)
4) Found it on 10.6.1.2; loaded it up in a web browser
5) Agreed to the license, entered my phone#, the router downloaded it's
   configuration
6) Router rebooted
7) Fired up my dhcp client, got an address
8) Hit the 'net.  :)

They actually give everyone a /30, with a real IP for the router _and_
your box. Cool! They have things have set up so if you hit http://10.5.1.2
(yeah, it actually worked on that IP), it gives you connection stats, etc.

Pretty sweet setup.. I'm only getting 320kbit/s right now, but the
installers told me that would be the case, and to call Rythms and see how
high they can get it to train..

Now.. to play with IP tunneling.. :)