    JJT> On Mon, Apr 16, 2001 at 10:30:31AM -0500, Robert P. Goldman
    JJT> wrote:
    >>  My tape drive crapped out :-< so....
    >>
    >> I was wondering --- do any of you have a solution to backing up
    >> to CD-Rs?

    JJT> How about backing up to CD-RW's?

That'd be fine, too.  But I don't see how that makes things any
easier.  What one would like would be to be able to do incremental
backups and, since CD-RWs still need to be filled using mkisofs, you'd
still want a lot of scriptage to make it work, seems to me.

The best I could figure out would be something like

1.  copy the CD-RW image to hard drive
2.  update the tar archive (either by adding to it, or by doing an
incremental backup to a new tar file)
3.  push the image back from the hard drive to the CD-RW.

The only thing CD-RW (over just CD-R) seems to me to simplify is #3,
because it lets me just overwrite the old incremental backup log
file.  And it makes it possible to just add to the tar file, instead
of writing an additional incremental file.