Make sure you set the MTU on the tunnel to 1500 or you'll have problems.  It
should default to 1500 anyway, but for some reason I have trouble with UDP
across the tunnel if you don't explicitly set it to 1500.

On the router you need something like:
interface Tunnel0
 description A crazy friggin tunnel
 ip address 10.254.254.1 255.255.255.252
 ip mtu 1500
 tunnel source FastEthernet0/0
 tunnel destination <external IP of your linux box>
!

And do something like this on the linux box after making sure you load the
gre module:
ip tunnel add tun0 mode gre remote <external ip of router> local <external
ip of local box> ttl 255
ip addr add 10.254.254.2/prefix dev tun0
ip route add <route to network behind the remote router/prefix> dev tun0