> I have changed my fetchmail to look like
> mda formail -s procmail
>
> and fetchmail returns a parsing error 2

My mistake.  I should've said:

  mda "formail -s procmail"

It might also be worth trying:

  mda "procmail -d %T"

which puts procmail explicitly into "mail delivery" mode.
Hmmm....actually, that might be it!

> You had suggested that I post some of my log, here it is.

Which makes it clear that fetchmail is not the cause of the problem.  So
it must be procmail (or how procmail is invoked) or pine.  If neither of
the above suggestions do the job, try opening up one of the mailboxes,
e.g. /home/john/mail/PHPGeneral, using vi and type '/^From ' to look for
occurrences of 'From' at the start of each mail.  Just to check that
procmail isn't escaping them.