actually the correct order would be:
make mrproper (to clear out all those old bad
compiles)
make menuconfig (to do as much damage as you can)
make dep (it says so right when you are done with
menuconfig)
make bzImage (the boot kernel, you can find it under
./arch/<arch>/bzImage you have to copy it to
/boot/vmlinuz.<kernel version> and configure lilo
make modules (to create all the modules)
make modules_install (to install the modules)

 -munir

=====