Ben Lutgens wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 10, 2001 at 10:52:04AM -0500, Phil Mendelsohn wrote:
>
>>> Can I get an amen brother!!!
>>
>> "Youth, enthusiasm, and talent are no match for old age and treachery."
>> ;)
>

> HAHAHA, I am not all that enthused about vorbis, I added that cause I thought
> it was funny. I'd to would like to see them succeed but wouldn't hold my
> breath. But has nothing to do with intelligence of the hackers, it's more a
> timing issue. I think it came along to late in the game. It lacked that timing
> that would guarantee that deep markey penetration.
>
> If someone introduced another cushy windows like OS that was better, it
> wouldn't make it. Doze is too deep seeded in that market.
>
>> That said, I'd still like to see Vorbis do it, but I won't put any money
>> on 'em.

I'd like to point out that the consumer market isn't the only place
where a decent (not necessarily MPEG-AAC-killa), royalty-free encoder is
going to be attractive.
Think of all the game developers out there who look at Ogg/Vorbis, and
then look at MP3 (cue snarling, drooling Fraunhofer lawyer pack), and
think to themselves
"do I really want to pay out $0.50/disc to Fraunhofer if I don't *have* to?"

That's one example, but there are plenty of places where sound will need
to be compressed and then distributed to the masses, other than
pillaging the storehouses of popular music for our listening pleasure.
If Fraunhofer really does get off their ass and start enforcing
licensing agreements, all of them will be ripe for Ogg/Vorbis.  If, that
is, enough people are aware of the technology and willing to speak
intelligently about it for a couple of minutes, so that They Who
Decide(tm) are made aware of the option.

Open source "evangelism" isn't always about convincing people to abandon
a perfectly good solution for an equally good Free one.  Sometimes it's
about providing exactly what a person/company has been looking for, if
they only knew where to look. :)

--
 Chris H. Bidler                                   cbidler at talkware.net
 Associate Engineer, Sysadmin Group
 Universal Talkware Corp.

 "In any event, is a O^(log N) search that returns the wrong answer
  really better than an O^N search that returns the right answer?"