On Tue, Apr 10, 2001 at 10:03:19AM -0500, Phil Mendelsohn wrote:

>The thing I'm curious about is, can Open Source development compete
>against the *HEAVILY* funded corporate deep wizardry?  We're not talking
>about a couple of guys somewhere.  The 40 year old papers he was looking
>at and the 80 years of history is funded, published, and owned largely by
>AT&T Research.

Of course they can! Look at linux and *BSD's competing nose-to-nose with the
big corporate fleets of hackers. And holding thier own too I might add.
Granted this isn't an apples to apples comparison but it's a good example of
what the masses of "hobbyists" can accomplish. No matter what you wanna do,
there is a hacker out there who cares not about getting paid but will do it
for the challenge or for fun.

>I'd like to see Vorbis do it (open things up) -- jj's not allowed to tell
>even his friends some of the details of how he does what he does, and I'd
>like to know more about their perceptual model.  *That's* the deep
>wizardry that I think this is going to come down to, and I don't think
>Vorbis has the resources to improve upon it.  Worse yet, that's not the
>best AT&T has.  The AAC coder is quite a bit better, and even more CPU
>efficient in encoding.

No matter how smart you are, and no matter how great your idea is; someone
smarter will come up with a better one. Can ya dig it?

Can I get an amen brother!!!

--
Ben Lutgens		cell: 612.670.4789
Sistina Software Inc.	work: 612.379.3951

$chown -R us.us yourbase