Kent Schumacher <kent at structural-wood.com> writes:

> Bob Tanner wrote:
> >
> > Quoting Kurt Schumacher (burtmetcalf at mediaone.net):
> > > I am somewhat a novice at Linux and I just got a cable modem through RR
> > > (3Com) and want to hook it up to my Linux machine.  I installed it under
> > > Windows to make sure everything was working.  Can anyone help me get it
> > > connected and running under Linux.  As I said, I am somewhat of a novice
> > > so if you can make it easy to understand, I would appreciate it.
> >
> > What distribution?
> > --
>
> I took an interest in Kurt's system over the weekend and failed utterly
> to get it working.
> I guess what would be helpful is just some general information.
>
> Does RoadRunner need to be hooked to a specific NIC?

Unfortunatly yes.  If you switched network cards from the install, then call
them and just tell them you had to swap network cards, NOT that you have
Linux.  Then tell them the new MAC address.  I haven't tried this yet, but I'm
told this is supposed to be easy.

> What mode is the 3com modem running in.  Should it be treated
> like a wire, a router, or ???

bridge, just ignore it.

> Is DHCP the proper way to get an IP address set up?

yes

> If so, any clues as to why dhcpcd failed?

Lots of possibilities.  Does the cable modem make music when the dhcp client
tries to connect?  If so you got an IP address.

> What are the rest of you doing to make it work?

I'm actually using OpenBSD, but it's using dhclient to get all the networking
information.  The default dhclient.conf file will work if you don't run a DNS
on your local network.  dhclient is available for Linux as well as OpenBSD.
The DHCP client will assign your default gateway and dns servers for you.

Jon Schewe | http://mtu.net/~jpschewe | jpschewe at mtu.net