On Mon, 9 Apr 2001, Simeon Johnston wrote:
> I am trying to rotate my logs but am having problems with logrotate.
>
> This is the command used.
>
> /var/log/logfile {
>      postrotate
>          /usr/bin/killall -HUP `cat /var/run/syslog-ng.pid`
>      endscript
> }

 Uh, 'killall' is used for process names, 'kill' is used for process IDs.
Don't mix and match; it gets ugly.  (I make that mistake on the command
line, where it nicely whines at me.)  You could change it to either:

/usr/bin/killall -HUP syslog-ng

 or

/bin/kill -HUP `cat /var/run/syslog-ng.pid`

 The former will probably work, regardless of the location of the pid file
(which it's not dependent on anyway), but the latter would, of course,
require the pid file to be in /var/run.
 Using killall for such matters can have some annoying side effects, but I
suspect that this won't be the case for this situation.  No guarantees,
though.

> The problem with this is that the syslog-ng.pid file seems to be
> generated in whatever directory you started syslog-ng from instead of
> /var/run/*.
> Is this a configuration problem of the system?
> If a system problem how do I go about fixing it?
> Is there a simpler way to send an HUP signal?

 Dunno.
 Dunno.
 Yep, 'killall'.  You're already using it, but you shouldn't be -- at
least not in that context.

> I am using Redhat-6.2 on an ALPHA with syslog-ng 1.4.11.
>
> I already posted this to another list but they havn't responded.  The list
> server might be down or something because I havn't received anything from
> them for quite some time.
> Can anyone help me?

 Are you kidding?  We have a hard enough time helping ourselves. :)

 Good luck on this.

     Jima