Bob Tanner wrote:

> Quoting Kurt Schumacher (burtmetcalf at mediaone.net):
> > I am somewhat a novice at Linux and I just got a cable modem through RR
> > (3Com) and want to hook it up to my Linux machine.  I installed it under
> > Windows to make sure everything was working.  Can anyone help me get it
> > connected and running under Linux.  As I said, I am somewhat of a novice
> > so if you can make it easy to understand, I would appreciate it.
>
> What distribution?
> --

I took an interest in Kurt's system over the weekend and failed utterly
to get it working.

He's running a 2.2.18 kernel on a RedHat 6.1 base.

The Windows 95 machine has a netgear fa311 card and a single 10baseT
cable runs from the NIC to the cable modem - as Kurt said it's a
3com modem.  The 3com web site has a lot of docs on cable modems
but not Kurt's specific modem.  At any rate.

Kurt has a working SMC network card in his linux machine, so I
had him move the cable to the network card and then had him
run the netcfg app and set the IP parameters (IP address,
netmask, etc...) to the same values he had on the windows
machine.  When he tried to ping qwest.net IP address it
failed with a network not found.  Note that this was the
direct IP number, not the name.

Kurt was not able to find a gateway address on his Windows box
(and I haven't run Windows in years so I couldn't help him).

I then had him move the netgear fa311 to the linux box on the
off chance that RoadRunner was tracking the MAC address, and had
him install the netgear driver.

After all was installed, I had him try a dhcpcd eth0, which
has always worked with my Cisco 675.  The cable modem lights
blinked for a while and then dhcpcd exited.

/var/log/messages showed that dhcpcd had timed out.

I guess what would be helpful is just some general information.

Does RoadRunner need to be hooked to a specific NIC?

What mode is the 3com modem running in.  Should it be treated
like a wire, a router, or ???

Is DHCP the proper way to get an IP address set up?

If so, any clues as to why dhcpcd failed?

What are the rest of you doing to make it work?

Thanks,
Kent