I installed the newest version of modutils but now when I do a "depmod -a"
I get

depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.2.17-14/block/DAC960.o
and so on for every module in every directory.

Hmmm...I just checked dmesg and it says "Linux version 2.2.5-15..." but all
the files in my /boot directory say 2.2.17-14.  This is very confusing.