Really, I like the idea Scott Dier had more than a Z-Series with multiple
virtual linux 'boxes'.  This may be because I missed the meeting and don't
fully understand the capabilities (although I did grab the meeting notes
and am reading through them).

Or if the baldeagle.com people would let you run a small server or two
(which their acceptable use policy on their website prohibits), then that
might be an option.  From what I've heard on the list most of us run a
small server or two, and want to be able to continue to do so.

Ultimately, that's why I'm interested in having high-speed internet
access.  Surfing can be fun, but ultimately I get more enjoyment out of
running a web/mail server for family and friends, doing my own DNS, server
maintenance, backups, etc.  I learn a lot more too.

Currently I've got DSL service from QWest.  It stinks.  I could go with a
different DSL provider, but they appear to be having problems too.  I
could go with a different ISP but keep the line from QWest, but most of
the problems I've had with QWest were line related, so that may not help
either.  Also, most of the other ISPs that I've looked at (1/2 a dozen
or so) have a policy that says no servers.

If I could afford 'real' bandwidth (frame relay, T1, etc.) then it really
wouldn't be an issue.  I can afford maybe $150/month at most for
high-speed internet, which won't get any of the above.  Even a
dual-channel BRI with unlimited usage costs more than that, for
significantly less bandwidth than DSL or cable.

Co-location might be possible, but my (limited) research indicates that
decent co-lo starts at about $200/month (and that's per machine, or per
network port), and then I'd need to spend another $35+/month for internet
from home (2nd phone line with dial-up would cost that much, or cable or
cheaper DSL than I've got now).

Some sort of coop co-lo space would be great, but could also be expensive
unless you can get space near an ISP that can run ethernet to your coop
closet for some fee (hopefully a lot less than paying for multiple T1s or
an ATM connection or fibre).  Twenty people paying $50/month would be
$1000/month.  Would that be enough?  Not for physical space and even a
single T1, but maybe for space and an ethernet connection to an ISP, or
maybe space and a frame connection?

Or maybe the S/390 virtual machines will let me do everything that I want,
in which case that would be another option.

Jeff