Yaron wrote:

>   Hi,
>
> On Thu, 5 Apr 2001, Clay Fandre wrote:
>
> > Are you running XFree86 4? If so, run XFree86 -configure. I did that and
> > it gave me the best resolution possible. (1800x1400 or something like
> > that)
>
> X never ceases (sp?!) to amaze me.
>
> It actually was refusing to do 1600x1200 - that mode was not listed in the
> list of modes it probed. Plus with the nvidia drivers you have to tell it
> to ignore EDID info or it REALLY messes up.
>
> The way I got it to work... ok, I _removed_ all the modelines, told it to
> IGNORE EDID, and forgot to remove "1600x1200" from the SCREEN section...
> and then it just worked.
>
> -Yaron

On the other hand...

I've got a GeForce2 mx nvidia card and a very new monitor, and I am able to
type almost any 'normal' resolution into the "Screen/Display"
subsection and X will display it (i.e. 1280x1024, 1600x1200, 2000x1800).
No modelines needed.  I'm pretty sure I'm not ignoring EDID.

I also often find X amazing...