On Wed, 4 Apr 2001, Dileep Monie wrote:

> I've just installed RH 7.0 on my new box (thanks Jay, you know who you are
> :) and am trying to configure it for my system. For some reason (probably
> due to a lack of driver support), it won't recognize drives connected to my
> Promise ATA/100 controller. Does anyone how to set it up so I can mount or
> boot those drives?

I purchased a new M/B with the on-board Promise ATA-100 controller last
December. To get Linux working, I had to put the drive on one of the ATA-66
channels, install the system, compile a new kernel with support for the
Promise controller, power down, move the drive back to the ATA-100 channel,
and reboot. (In that order. :-)

You may also find that you need to enable a kernel option that causes
reverses the IDE search so your ATA-100 channels are scanned first. I don't
remember the option off the top of my head, but it's well documented in the
config help files. The result of all of this is that I have my HD at
/dev/hda (ATA-100), my CD-ROM at /dev/hde, and my CD-RW at /dev/hdg (both
ATA-33).

Good luck.

-Tim

--
Tim Wilson      | Visit Sibley online:         | Check out:
Henry Sibley HS | http://www.isd197.k12.mn.us/ | http://www.zope.org/