I've got a RH 6.1, kernel 2.2.18 system on a Dell Precision 410.  When
I try to rip CDs, I get a very funny behavior.  Initially, the ripping
proceeds at pretty high speed.  However, often when I get to the end
of a track, the speed bogs down.  If I watch using grip (CD paranoia
is my ripper), the speed display goes way, way down, from 2.0x to 1.8,
to 1.0 to 0.6....  If I'm incredibly patient, this will eventually
finish.  It's not a grip problem --- CD paranoia does this even when
not run from inside grip --- nor is it a cd paranoia problem ---
alternative rippers show the same behavior.

So what I guess is that there's something bad about the CD-ROM
driver.  Has anyone had an experience like this?  Any fixes?

Thanks!
Robert