Actually, all of the hardware you listed is supported.  You just have to
make sure you don't buy a cheap so-called "winmodem".  The downside to that,
is a real modem costs a little more.  US robotics Sportster's are a good
modem that work fine with linux.

SB Live is supported with the emu10k1 module.  Add this line to your
/etc/modules.conf file:
alias sound-slot-0 emu10k1

The Voodoo 3 works great also.  http://dri.sourceforge.net should have all
of the info you need to get that working.

Most distributions will set all of this hardware up automatically, at least
Mandrake is fairly good about it.  If you still have problems, just come to
an installfest and someone will help you.

As for you asking what distributions are the best...  I think you probably
just started a flame war.  :)  I like Mandrake for desktop boxes, and debian
for servers.  I haven't used Slackware in a long time, so I don't know how
they are, and I don't really like RedHat, it seems to suck for a desktop
system, and for servers it works OK, although it installs tons of
unnecessary crap.

Jay