On Mon, Apr 02, 2001 at 09:31:29PM -0500, Bob Tanner wrote:
> I have tried several tools, each seems to have a strength, but none of them are
> "simple". The tools I have used are tcpdump, snoop, sniffit, ethereal.

I've never done any serious work with sniffers, so I'm not particularly
familiar with any of those you listed, but I found karpski to be pretty quick
and easy to get started with.  It's an X app; basically just run it, tell it
to start listening, and it fills up a list box with all the connections it
sees.  When a connection of interest appears, click on it and then hit
another button and all data sent across it is displayed in a popup window.

I'm sure there's a way to specify something broader, like 'all connections
using foobar:42', but that would require actually reading TFM...

I've also looked a little bit at ngrep, which seems to be pretty powerful,
but it's a command-line app with a zillion options, so I left it in the pile
of things to figure out when I have a use for them.

--
Linux will do for applications what the Internet did for networks.
    - IBM, "Peace, Love, and Linux"