On Sat, Mar 31, 2001 at 10:17:20PM -0600, Jason J wrote:
>I am trying to get quake3 to run under linux for the first time.
>
>I am running the following
>
>Geforce 2 MX
>Debian Unstable updated as of 1 day ago
>Xfree 4.02-12
>2.4.2 custom from debian kernel source
First of all, even though you are running debian, get rid of the debian kernel
sources, and DON'T use the debian nvidia stuff, it's slower and buggier than
their latest sources off their website.
Grab a fresh clean kernel off kernel.org
and grab the kernel and glx sources here,
ftp://ftp.evil3d.net/pub/Evil3D/Linux/NVIDIA/NVIDIA_kernel-0.9-769.tar.gz
ftp://ftp.evil3d.net/pub/Evil3D/Linux/NVIDIA/NVIDIA_GLX-0.9-769.tar.gz
compile said software and install.
Now debian does some things that nvidia's driver dosn't like, like putting the
following files back when they *NEED* to be removed to get the NVidia module
and all glx components to work. (And they'll come back after every upgrade.)
/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libglx.a
/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libGLcore.a
/usr/lib/libGL.so.1.2
/usr/lib/libGLcore.so.1 (linked to libGL.so.1.2, so relink to nvidia libGL)
After these are removed, running glxinfo should no longer kill your X session.
If it does, please post the sections of the XFree86.0.log regarding glx
modules being loaded etc.
Good Luck,
--
Thomas J. Hudak