Excellent. Thank you sir.

I had all the nvidia stuff and the mesa stuff. BUT my only problem was to put
/usr/lib/nvidia-glx in ld.so.conf and make sure it was before any dir with any
other libGL stuff.

So now quake3 runs, BUT now I am having problems getting the sound to work. I
have a via686 onboard sound card. The chipset is VIA694, the one used on the
ABIT VP6 and the MSI694D Dual cpu mobo's. Sound Inialization sections starts
and then Signal 11! and it crashes. I found one message on a board telling
people to do "echo Playback quake3.x86 0 0 disable >/proc/asound/0/pcmD0o".
The guy said that was suppose to get sound working. For me it made quake get
past the sound initialization section and quake ran ok, but no sound at all.

I checked to see if anything was using the sound card.
lsof |grep sound
lsof |grep dsp

ps aux |grep sound
ps aux |grep arts

No sound stuff running

play /usr/share/licq/sounds/Monty-Python.wav
That worked ok.

If anyone has a FAQ or suggestion or irc room I can go to for help I would
appreciate it.

This will bring me one mighty step closer to never having to boot to windows
again!!