Bill,

You really do want to use mgetty for faxes. I don't use agetty (I use
mingetty on my consoles), but you will use mgetty only on the serial
line(s) with modems (/dev/ttyS1, /dev/ttyS2...).

While mgetty is waiting for incoming faxes, you are free to use that
modem for dialing out. Just be careful to use device locking correctly,
that is both your dial out (ppp, minicom, whatever) should be using the
same devie (/dev/ttyS1) that mgetty is using.

Give it a try. If you have problems, drop a question on the list.

Here is a snippet from my /etc/inittab:

# Run gettys in standard runlevels
1:12345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty1
2:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty2
3:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty3
4:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty4
5:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty5
6:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty6
s2:2345:respawn:/usr/local/sbin/mgetty ttyS1 -n 3 -x 6