^chewie wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 30, 2000 at 01:52:08AM -0500, Callum Lerwick wrote:
> > Whats the debian equivlent to chkconfig? Someone told me once and now I
> > can't remember...
>
> Assuming that chkconfig conditionally removes something that MIGHT be
> on your box, you can do the same with 'apt-get --remove <package>' ort
> dpkg --remove <package>.  dpkg --purge <package> is nice in that it
> removes ALL traces of that package from your system.  Of course,
> you'll need to make sure no other package depends upon it, in which
> case you'll have a couple decisions to make. ;-)

No, I don't want to remove the package, I just want stop it from running
at startup. chkconfig is redhat's nifty keen command line sysvinit link
maintainer, mainly there for pre/post install scripts to maintain all
that runlevel symlink crap. Its human usable too, chkconfig --list in
RH7 even makes the columns line up nicely now, no more using awk to do
that, neat...

Debian has something similar, suppose I could rip apart a daemon package
and see...

I'm also told Irix (Or was it solaris?) has a tool of the same name that
does the same thing...