Clay Fandre wrote:

> So I upgraded my 6.2 box last night to RH7. It actually went really well with
> no problems.

Good for you. My first mail check post RH7 and I'm greeted by a 100
message Why RedHat Sucks flamewar.

Anyway, so I try several times to install it, apparently if I try and
select individual packages it crashes later in the install. Tried with
both text install and graphical. Graphical harfs on my multihead box,
since it detects the first PCI card and trys to config for that, rather
than the AGP card that's primary, which fails. Switching the bios to
make the PCI card primary worked.

Anyway, so I had to go with some kind of default install, then go back
through and uninstall the tons of crap I didn't want. Fun.

I have a feeling it has something to do with the two CD support. Has
anyone installed taking both CDs during the install? It didn't ask for
the second for me. I went and looked at the packages on it and there was
only one thing I wanted, which was wget. wget wan't installed by
default. Hmmm...

Seems bugzilla.redhat.com is back up so I can bitch at them. Whee.

> So what's the deal with xinetd? I've never run it so I don't really know too
> much about it. From what I read about it it's suppose to be more secure. Anyone
> have any opinion on it? Are any other distros using it?

It uses a ".d" type layout, (what does .d mean anyway?) each service has
its own config file in /etc/xinetd.d which I suppose makes package
management much simpler. It allows binding to certain interfaces, which
is good...

Its neat, but now I gotta learn it. ;P

> Is there anything else in RH7 that they changed? (worth noting) Hurray for
> including OpenSSH. Now if they would only disable the services that aren't
> needed. (finger, telnet, rservices)

XFree 4.0.1!